Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Favorite Autumn Jams - Columboid


It's that time again, folks. Over the next few weeks as the leaves turn and fall in Pennsylvania, we're going to be speaking with our friends and compadres from around the globe. We'd like to share what keeps them motivated, what makes them tick, or what nostalgia is triggered by the changing season. Music, food, films, yoga positions, home remedies; all of the great condiments of life.

For our first installment, Ryan Hamilton and Neil Benjamin from Columboid share with us their fall favorites:

Ryan, Russell, Neil

Ryan:

While I'm bored here at work on this beautiful autumn day, I thought it might be a good time to let everyone in on my five fave fall jams. (none of them are by The Fall, unfortunately).

Autumn has always signified change in my mind, and these five are probably the ones I associate with the biggest of those:

1) As I entered Eigth grade and started shedding my sports team clothes for ripped sweaters and vans sneakers, the song that I most identified with was 'Dumb' off Nirvana's In Utero.

2) After moving to Philadelphia, qutting school and deciding to try to conquer the world with music full time (hasn't quite worked out for me yet), I can remember listening to 'Everything Is In Its Right Place' off of Kid A by Radiohead.

3) The Autumn after my mother passed away i remember turning to The Smiths big time. I guess if I had to pick one song in particular it would be 'Stop Me if You Think You've Heard This One Before' off of Strangeways, Here We Come.

4) The Fall I moved to Brooklyn I remember buying every Beach Boys album I could find as if maybe the Nazis were going to burn them all. My pick from all those is 'Til I Die' off of Surfs Up.

5) The last song isn't one that represents any real major change, but rather one that has tended to enhance my autumnal mood as of late. That song is 'The Wraith of Loving' of the self-titled album by Songs of Green Pheasant.

Neil:

Fall tends to be a very reclusive period for me. I listen to albums that nurture that state.


Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I
Flying Lotus - L.A. EP1 X 3
Beck - Sea Change
J-Live - All Of The Above